Welcome to JS’ School of Hebrew
Hebrew for the Nations : Sown in the Land, Harvested Among the Nations
At the School of Hebrew students study and learn the language of the Hebrew scriptures as a living language through a unique immersion based approach. Learn to communicate with your fellow students and instructors in the footsteps of David and Hezekiah. Acquire the language as naturally as a child would and enter deeply into the historical, cultural and geographical world of the Hebrew Bible!
SOH instructors have successfully graduated from a six month “Biblical Hebrew and Teaching Methodology” course for native Hebrew speakers which certifies graduates as Hebrew for the Nations instructors.
Our instructors not only teach in our School of Hebrew programs, but also go out to the nations and teach short intensive courses for Bible translators, seminarians, and pastors in their local contexts. If you would like to have the School of Hebrew: Hebrew for the Nations come to your Bible translation training center or seminary or teach a class online, please contact us for more information.
Through our stand alone academic program, the language of the Bible will begin to flow in and out of participants, illuminating the biblical text not just accurately, but in the fuller context of culture, mindset, and geography. Our courses provide students academic tools, alongside a natural feel for the text, that equip graduates to confidently, efficiently and accurately engage with the Hebrew scriptures for the purposes of translation, edification, and all levels of study.
Five different courses of study are offered:
- Semester Online: A 14 week online semester course presented by Hebrew for the Nations certified instructors. 60 academic hours. Starting in March 2021. For more information and to enroll. The Beginner level semester course is a prerequisite for courses 2 and 3 below.
- Summer Intensive: A short-term 4-week course, to be offered once a year in the summer, for students wishing to complete an intensive period studying the Hebrew language in the land with Hebrew for the Nations certified instructors as well as study-tours in communicative biblical Hebrew throughout the Land of the Bible. 120 academic hours. August 2021 in cooperation with the Jerusalem Center for Bible Translators’ Short-Term Courses.
- Residential Semester Course: A core course of the residential 14-week semester program in conjunction with the School of Graduate Studies, employing Hebrew for the Nations certified instructors. Planned for September 2021. 60 academic hours.
- Modular Online Course: A multi-week online course with flexible hours: two to five hours per week. Additionally, this course (tailored for organisations and schools) offers a flexible number of weeks: for example, 1 – 40 weeks that could be prior to or post our “International One Month Intensive Course Among the Nations”. Another option would be for this to function as a refresher course independent of another School of Hebrew course. Variable academic hours: 20 – 100.
- International One Month Intensive Course Among the Nations: An intensive course outside of Israel is offered in conjunction with associated schools or training centers in communicative Biblical Hebrew. This course is geared for Bible translators, consultants and seminarians to significantly increase the level of biblical Hebrew fluency in a concentrated time. Typical offering: 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for 3 – 4 weeks for 90 – 120 academic hours.
Note: In conjunction with JS’ School of the Bible, a course in “Conversational Modern Hebrew” will be offered on a limited basis. Modern Hebrew can support the internalization of biblical Hebrew. For example: 88% of the first 1000 words are the same between modern and biblical Hebrew. Planned for 2022.
For more information on any of the School of Hebrew courses, please contact us.